Environmental Geology, Volcanic Geology, Slope Disasters, GIS Landslide
1942 Born in Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka Prefecture
1966 Graduated from Department of Geology and Mineralogy, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University
1966 Entered in Geological Survey of Hokkaido
1987 Doctor of Science given from Hokkaido University
1990-1996 Director of Department of Environmental Geology, Geological Survey of Hokkaido
1996-1999 Director of Department of Resources Geology, Geological Survey of Hokkaido
1999-2008 Professor of Faculty of Science, Niigata University
2004-2005 President of Japan Landslide Society
2008 Felllow of Institute of Science and Technology, Niigata University
2008 Professor of Center for Disaster Management Infomatics Research(CDMIR), Ehime University
2013-2014 Visiting Prof of CDMIR, Ehime University
2014- Technical Advisor of Shin Engineer Consultant Co. Ltd
2011- JICA Expert (Moznbieque, Honduras)
2014- Board Member of Hokkaido Crisis & Environment Policy Institute
2015-2017 UNESCO Expert (UNESCO ENHANS PROJECT)
2016- HRCG (Hokkaido Research Center of Geology) Senior Researcher
2016-Emeritus Member of Japan Landslide of Japan
1) Yamagishi, H., (2000): Recent landslides in West Hokkaido, Japan . Pure and Applied Geophysics. v. 157, 1115-1134.
2)Ayalew, L., Yamagishi, H. and Ugawa, N. (2004) Landslide susceptibility mapping using GIS in Tsugawa area of Agano River, Niigata Prefecture, Japan. Landslides, 1, 73-81.
3) Ayalew, L., Yamagishi, H.(2004) The application of GIS-based logistic regression for lanslide susceptibility mapping in the Kakuda-Yahiko Mountains, Central Japan. Geomorphology, vol. 65, 15-31
4) Ayalew, L., Yamagishi, H., Marui, H and Kanno, T.(2005): Landslides in Sado Island of Japan: Part I. Case studies, monitoring techniques and environmental considerations. Engineering Geology 81, 419-431.
5Yamagishi, H. and Iwahashi, J (2007): Comparison between the two triggered landslides in Mid-Niigata, Japan-by July 13 heavy rainfall and October 23 intensive earthquakes in 2004-.Landslides,4: 389-397.
6)Ayalew, L., Kasahara, M., Yamagishi, H. (2011) The spatial correlation between earthquakes and landslides in Hokkaido (Japan), a GIS-based analysis of the past and future. Landslides, v.8, 433-448.
７) Iwahashi, J., Kamiya I. and Yamagishi, H.(2012) Dealing with high-resolution DEMs in the study of rainfall- and earthquake-induced landslides: Use of a variable window size method in digital terrain analysis. Geomorphology 153-154, 29-38.
８) Dou, J., Yamagishi, H., Pourghasemi, R. , Yanus, A. P., Song, X., Xu, Y., Zhu, Z( 2015) An integrated articicial neural network model for the landslide suceptibility assesment of Osado Island, Japan. Natural Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-015-1799-2.
9) Elias Garcia-Urquia and Hiromitsu Yamagishi (2016) The use of the matrix method for the landslides susceptibility mapping of Tegucgalpa, Honduras. Second Central American and Caribean Landslide Congress, 18-20 July 2016, Tegucugalpa Honduras, 65-70.
10)Rigoberto Moncada Ropez and Hiromitsu Yamagishi (2016) Educational methodologies implemented in latin America for Landslide inventory and analysis. Second Central American and Caribean Landslide Congress, 18-20 July 2016, Tegucugalpa Honduras, 147-152.
11) Yamagishi, H. (2017) Identification and mapping of landslides. In Yamagishi, H. and Bahndary, N.P. (eds) GIS Landslide, Springer, Tokyo, 3-9.
12)Yamagishi, H. and Yamazaki, F. (2018) Landslides by the 2018 Hokkaido Iburi-Tobu Earthquake on September 6, Volume 15, Issue 12, pp 2521–2524.
Ayalew, L., Yamagishi, H.(2004) The application of GIS-based logistic regression for lanslide susceptibility mapping in the Kakuda-Yahiko Mountains, Central Japan. Geomorphology, vol. 65, 15-31
１．Former President of Japan Landslide Society(2004-2005), Emeritus Member
2. Former President of Hokuriku Branch of the Japan Society of Engineering Geology
4. Editor of "Landslides"(International journal published by Springer-Verlag)
5. Head of the GIS Landslide Workshop
6. JSPS Science and Technology Researchers (2010-2014)
7. Head of GIS Group of Ehime University(2009-2014)
8. JICA Expert(2012-2016)
9. UNESCO Expert(2015-2016)
10 CEMI HOKKAIDO Board Member (2014-)
11. HRCG Hokkaido Research Center of Geology, Executuve member, Senior Researcher
CCOP 2011 Landslide Symposium at Bangdon, Indononesia. Group photo of all of the participants
CCOP 2011 Selected as one of plenary speakers.
2013 The first Central America and Carribean Landslide Congress at Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Manual of landslide mapping published by Landslide Mapping Group of Tegucigalpa, based on JICA Project (2011-2013)
Yamagishi, H. (1994) : Subaqueous Volcanic Rocks-Atlas and Glossary-, Hokkaido University Press, 195p (in Japanese and English).
H. Yamagisihi (1985) Growth of pillow lobes-evidence from pillow lavas of Hokkaido, Japan and North Island of New Zealand. Geology, 13:499-502.
Yamagishi H. and Netra Prakashi Bahndari (Eds) (2017) GIS LANDSLIDE. SPRINGER VERLAG, 233p
This course topic is landslide mapping using GIS etc.
The participants are 17 persons from Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Ecuador etc. Mostly from the institutes of each country.
Pre Excursion around Kathmandu. We saw the geomorphology and many cultural heritages in the city.
I presented the paper as the left on Nov 30th
Revised on April 15, 2019